Saturday, June 9, 2012

Banana Blueberry Walnut Bread

I seem to have a thing for blueberries lately! Of course, it's not just any blueberries. In my book, it has to be Maine Wild Blueberries!


If you have never tried them, you are in for a real treat. They have a sweet, tangy flavor that is just divine.


I did a little experimenting with this 'Banana Blueberry Walnut Bread' recipe. I made 2 identical loafs, with one small change. The loaf on the left has 'Steel Cut Oats' and the one on the right has 'Old Fashioned Oats'. 


I used the same amount in both loafs and used the 'Steel Cut Oats' as is, with no prior soaking.


The top slice is the 'Old Fashioned Oats' version and the bottom slice is the 'Steel Cut Oats' version. As I expected, the 'Steel Cut' version had a chewier texture to the bread and the 'Old Fashioned Oats' had a more traditional - loaf bread consistency.

The Verdict:  If I had to choose one over the other, I guess I would go with the traditional 'Old Fashioned Oats'. They both made a tasty loaf, but I prefer the traditional style.

Now for the recipe...

Banana Blueberry Walnut Bread - Makes 12 Servings

- 1 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 large Mashed Ripe Bananas
- 1/2 cup Aquafaba
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Frozen Maine Wild Blueberries (could also be fresh)

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients (with the exception of the blueberries) in a medium bowl. Stir the liquids into the dry ingredients and stir just until moist. Gently fold in the blueberries. Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour batter into the pan and bake in the center of the oven at 350 degrees for approx 1 hour. Insert a knife into the center of the loaf to check for doneness.

I like mine spread with vegan butter.


This tastes great for breakfast, or as a snack and it freezes nicely as well.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

I love reading each and every comment and welcome any questions or feedback you may have.

^ Scroll to Top